What’s it about?
I’m sure most of you have read the story of The Very Hungry Caterpillar either as a child or to your little one. You may know it’s a very short book so to make a 50 minute version of it would almost be impossible so in this performance you are told not one but four different stories!
The first story was The Artist That Painted A Blue Horse. It’s a lovely short story about an artist painting different animals and not in the traditional colours you would normally see. After every painting, the pictures were brought to life with puppets. The “oohs” and “ahhs” in the audience made it quite funny. The children were mesmerised!
The second story was Mister Seahorse. Another beautiful short story about a male Seahorse takin caring of his Seahorse eggs and meeting other fish doing the same. The puppets were stunning and my daughter kept saying “wow” after seeing each one 😀
The third story The Very Lonely Firefly is about a firefly trying to find more fireflies and him mistaking different types of lights for fireflies. It’s a visually beautiful performance that doesn’t even need words.
The final and fourth story is of course The Very Hungry Caterpillar. The story of how a caterpillar becomes a beautiful butterfly!
All the stories include amazingly detailed puppets and are narrated by 3 brilliant actors! The children in the audience are encouraged to react to these puppets and join in with some of the narration too! It was lovely to see one of my favourite childhood books brought to life.
13th December – 7th January
The Ambassadors theatre, west street, WC2H 9ND
Tickets start at £15. Check website for further infix
Need to know
- There’s a designated area for buggy drop off. You’re given a ticket which helps at the end of the show as it makes both your life and the staffs lives easier! Don’t lose it!
- There is no baby changing facilities at this theatre but I’m sure you can easily find a space to do it.
- Babies in arms (under 12 months) are free but must be in your lap.
- Snacks and The hungry Caterpillar merchandise are available to purchase before and after the show.
- The performance lasts around 50 minutes.
- There’s a visual story available for you to show and read to your little one if it’s their first time to the theatre which is great if they understand. You can view this here
Click here for further info and to book tickets and see what a awesome show it is!